Thursday, February 25, 2010

Jetway to Runway

"I travel light. I think the most important thing is to 
be in a good mood and enjoy life, wherever you are."
-Diane von Furstenberg

Not too long ago I had a conversation with a friend while I was shopping. I was going about in my usual fashion, strolling through the racks of clothes, dragging my hands across the different fabrics as if I were letting them do the searching for me. I said aloud, "I need an outfit for the plane ride home". This was immediately followed by "Please don't tell me you dress up for a plane ride. Who does that?". I was dumbfounded. I was under the impression everyone knew to put on your best casual look and fresh face for your airline adventure. Now with a journey ahead of me in less than 2 weeks and with the knowledge that there are still people out there with a 'devil-may-care' attitude towards their flying fashion, I am here to change that. I am here to say "no more pajamas on flights, ya'll!"

Our first scenario is if you were flying somewhere tropical. 
A lightweight cotton sweater dress will be perfect for those intense 
air conditioned flights and will be comfortable for the new climate. 
Pair with embellished flats and a large colored bag. The bigger the 
bag the better! You'll be able to fit all your fashion magazines and 
your typical purse goods.

The next scenario is for our snow bunny.
My most important and only advice is to layer layer layer!
Start with a simple tee and pair it with an interesting
cardigan. This way you won't be stuck with a bulky 
sweater if it gets too hot on the plane and you won't have
to awkwardly take off a sweatshirt. Once again pair
with a large bag and don't forget to bring a warm hat!
Too many times I've seen people come from somewhere 
warm just to arrive freezing cold at their destination.

Lastly, we have the big city outfit. Some of the best words of 
advice I've ever heard were from Isaac Mizrahi. He said when
you're traveling to a big city, pack in all black and grey. You'll look 
like a natural and everything you packed will match! The same should
go for when you arrive. You should always look like you belong
wherever you go.


Darling, you look like first class while you roam the streets,
now you'll look like you belong in first class in the air!

with all my love,
Lily

2 comments:

  1. omg I love it..I feel the same way..I always try to dress for the occasion what ever it might be..I cant stand when people were pajama pants ever where...And then they have the nerve to say to me, So why are you dressed up and Im like What...great blog..xoxo
    CocoMichelle
    cocomichelle.onsugar.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUCH a pet peeve of mine!!! Wear something comfortable but don't wear your dingy sweatpants that should NEVER leave the house! Its times like that I wish I lived in the 60s where everyone dressed to be seen on the flight!

    ReplyDelete